Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Faces beyond the garden


The man behind the mask (or in this case the garden)
Isaiah Hagar (http://www.isaiahzagar.org/about.html)

Isaiah was 19 yrs old when he was introduced to the folk art environment of Clarence Schmidt, Woodstock, NY USA. In 1960 there was an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art, NY. The exhibition included artists such as Pablo Picasso, Jean Dubuffet, Curt Schwitters, Antonio Gaudi,Clarence Schmit, Simon Rodia and Joseph Ferdinand Cheval that gave him a trained artist to include their concepts as manifestations of fine art. He began what he called a life's work in the city of Philadelphia PA "into a labyrinthine mosaic museum that incorporates all his knowledge and skill".



My topic for the next project is based on the garden in Philadelphia. I thought the statues were very expressive. It captures emotion, and the statues are images of children within a garden in the middle of the city. The faces caught my attention due to the facial features and expressions. Some of them have such a sad look on their face. I wonder if they purposely sculpted them that way. Inside a gleeful garden among the flowers and the children playing lies a kind of nostalgia. I might be reading to far from the picture or perhaps making up a new one. The subtle gloom and hues of green surrounding them in a way that holds them almost captive. I enjoyed choosing the statues for the book project simply because they have such detailed expression. In the beginning I wanted to choose Architecture as my subject but the sensitivity of the garden changed my mind. I thought it expressed my work with stronger feeling. I like choosing landscape as subjects rather than people only because some people don't like to be photographed. I think who look at the faces can relate at some point in time to them. We all felt some type of melancholy towards a playground or place you visit left in your imagination. You might have moved from place to place or it no longer exist only in your memories. I felt a sort of mist when I saw the garden and my nephew played and stumbled to the ground loving every minute of it. I wish I could bring those moments back. I think that's why I related to the statues and the garden. I miss those playful moments stuck in time and in my mind but I can still remember

2 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

Faces beyond the garden caught my attention while I was lokking through our class' blogs. I didn't know then that it is going to be your final project. I am exciting to see how you are going to present your faces to make them different each time when we are going to flip te page of your book. The faces reminds me of Chicago and over 50 cows statues they have over there. The cows are differently painted and crafted, located in different parts of the city. From what I saw so far, it is going to be a very nice book, that will stand out from the row of others. Because the topic is original. Good luck!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

It sounds like this particular garden evokes in you a nostalgia for the past. Figure out how to show that in the style of the photographs. Maybe with very shallow depth of field or foggy weather.

If it is the emotional reaction you have to the garden go for an emotional, poetic text and NOT an informational one with information about the artist for example.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home